Friday, November 9, 2007

Yes, it's Friday

Just got back from the Way of the Cross. It was tiring - walked the whole length with an incredible crowd; easily in the hundreds. All the seminarians came as well. You could tell it was Friday - even the young seminarians were unshaven. Don't know why - must be some unspoken group phenomenon or the result of a whole week's studies that tire us out so that we become unkempt by the end of the week. Even young William, a lebanese friar seminarian, had a shadow on his face; and he's usually very well kept. Well of course it goes to say that I didn't shave as well. People must be thinking what poor friars we are - unshaved and unshod. Good idea for Christmas presents - razors!

It was quite cool when I got out for the Way of the Cross - 18 degrees or something. Regretted not wearing some longs under the habit. It sure was penitence. And all done for you guys! Spent a few minutes in front of the Tomb of Christ to pray for all of you before coming home. Rushed home because I dislike walking in the crowded suk ("market"), brushed past the Dean who grapped my sleeve and said "Slow down, no need to rush: and with your swollen foot as well". So I slowed down; much against my natural instinct to get out of the crowd.

And......there was no cake today! The superior probably thought having cake 3 days in a row would be too much of a luxury so today's feastday was cakeless. Ha! It was meatless as well - today being Friday! What a feastday....... I hope Sr. Geronima will make it up by baking an extra large one tomorrow for my feastday!