My cough is still bothering me - bad. It's not the hollow, whispy type of cough that I usually get. This one is like an elephant sitting on my chest. It is heavy, painful on the chest and seems to press out all the breath I have. And the throat tickles. I wonder if prednisolone helps? You doctors out there - what do you think? A course of 2mg prednisolone for 5 days, wean down to 1mg for 3 days and half mg for 4 days? ADVICE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!! I have no anti-biotics here nor anti-histamines. But I hate the side-effects of prednisolone - the inevitable bout of depression and mood-swings. That'll disturb my study routine. I'm grouchy everyday anyway so people think I'm perpetually on steroids! :)
Saturday night again - that means "relax night" for us here in this monastery. After a week's study and the usual tension of living right in the middle of the Muslim Quarter, the professors and students try to relax as much as possible. For us here it means watching the television and especially a good movie either on Italian television or CD. Actually watching CDs is more usual. Students share CDs with each other during the weekend; some will join others in one room watching the same CD on computer while bigger groups get to use the TV room and CD player. I watch alone in my room because no one else watches english language CDs. Actually it was a replay of the Pirates of the Caribbean. Like I've seen it again and again and again and again ................ Well luckily Fr Vincenzo left me a boxful of CDs before he left for Egypt. I haven't had time to check it out yet - remember I have no cupboards, shelves, kettle etc... Everything is still in my luggage or boxes.
Talking about Fr. Vincenzo, I found him on Skype yesterday evening so I contacted him and chatted with him. It started out quite weird actually - he asked if I could hear the music he was playing in his room, I said no. He then asked again "Can you hear?", I said no. He continued asking this question like 10 times, each time raising his voice and I kept saying no. Finally I figured he wasn't talking about the music but his voice over Skype. So I said "If you mean if I can hear your voice - yes it's very loud! Don't shout!" and he scolded me and said "Of course I was referring to my voice; what else could I be referring to?" .... Ah well, local logic, get it? Somehow the topic of the question moved from music to voice with no "dialogue marker" or "boundary": things flow from one to another, no matter if there is a logical connection or not. Mind you Vincenzo is an Italian but he practically grew up here in the Middle East. Last night I joked that he has forgotten how to speak italian, and he said yes. In Egypt they speak arabic in the monasteries. Well I'm sure Vincenzo had a good night's sleep after speaking with us (Jean Paul was also in my room and spoke with him).
This morning I got up late! It was already 5.30am and I quickly washed and dressed and hobbled up to the Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre. It was unusually quiet. I celebrated Mass in English in the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament for Bro. Gregory (an American friar working in the Basilica) and several pilgrims and one local lady - Alexandra - she's always around. Then I had a quiet time in front of the Tomb praying for all of you until the booming bells reminded me that I must move aside because the Greek Orthodox bishop is coming to say Mass. I moved to the entrance and waited for the bishop's entry. As usual it was solemn - meaning two Kawas (guys dressed in ancient Ottoman suits carrying maces to shoo off people) led the way while 6 monks accompanied the bishop into the basilica. In our Roman Church, we also have kawas but we usually refer to them as "dragomans". After the bishop entered his part of the Church, I went to kiss the Stone of the Unction for all of you. I love it at the Basilica - there are no words to describe the experience there. Some people hate the ugly mixture of architecture (if that is a word you can use for the place!); other hates the dark, cold atmosphere created by the ancient stones; and more hate the divisions among the Christian communities in there. Well I never saw it that way. The Orthodox have always been civil with me (and vice versa), especially the Copts and Armenians who are always very friendly. The cacophany of voices is not disturbing but a wonderful expression of the Coming of the Holy Spirit, when each one can praise God in his own tongue. It shows more the unity in diversity rather than division. I just love it there. I wish I didn't have to leave but I've got work to do. yes even on a Sunday! But I told Bro. Andrew, our Ghanian head Sacristan, that I'll come back this afternoon for the procession. What is that you say? Well those of you who've joined me in pilgrimage here would remember the candle-light procession in the Holy Sepulchre. If not, too bad! Come and see for yourself! :)
On the way back I passed by the 8th Station and the bakery was open. In fact it was the only shop open along the whole street. For the 1st time in 15 years, the owner called out "Good morning Father". Wow - like he really needs my business. Be careful now...... I saw some of my favourite stuff there but brought only 15 shekels with me. So I thought I'd give it a try, if the bill overshoots my spending power, I'll just tell him to keep his buns. So I chose 3 pieces of pastry - 2 apple and 1 blueberry. They're about 5 inches long and 2 inches wide, with fruit in them. He charged me 3 shekels each. That's the price he usually charges me. 3 shekels is about HK$6. How do you compare that with HK pastries of the same size? Is it expensive? Well the total fell within my means, so I gave 9 shekels and he said "Thank you, Father. Have a good day Father". Hmmmmm must be a sign from God. But I have not the slightest idea what it is! He's muslim. Anyway I'm eating them right now as I write this. Yuuummie! Delicious!
When I got home, I found our horrible cat had knocked over the large rubbish bin at our entrance. The silly cat was sitting next to it, waiting to be scolded. Well he got a scolding from me - but I don't think he understood. I spoke english and he understands arabic. Anyway with alot of finger wagging, "no-no"s and a swipe of the broom, I hope he learnt his lesson. It's not the first time, mind you - its like every other day. But no one ever scolded him. He's a brash fellow. If you don't open the gates for him in the mornings so he can stray along the streets of the Way of the Cross, he'll walk right up to the altar in the middle of Mass to attract attention. Once he even plonked himself right in the middle of the altar and slept - in the middle of Mass! And no one shooed him off! He also drinks holy water from the font in front of the Flagellation Chapel. Don't tell me that's cute - I'm not partial to cats. But dogs - that's another story. I miss Rex and Regis. Hey you guys! Take some photos of my boys and send them to me!
The weather is chilly in the mornings - but I don't have to buy rugs. I found a couple of old rugs I left behind 2 years ago in a luggage Fr Vincenzo left me. I had given it to his care when I returned to Hong Kong back in 2005. Now it comes in handy! But I'll really have to get a heater - I saw Marco has one in his room, about a foot high and 8 inches wide. Just enough for the morning chill. Aaaahhh but the local logic lurks ....... (love the alliteration! Don't know what that means? Check a dictionary!)
I'll stay in today and use the library. Probably cook some instant noodles for lunch in the Students' Sala and then later in the evening join in the procession in the Holy Sepulchre. By the way I don't know if you ever read this blog? I've received like only 2 mails this week and I'd like to know if people are actually reading this. If not - I'll just close it down. You know my email address. Give me some indication.