Woke up as usual at 4am but hurried to get to the Holy Sepulchre - I wanted to concelebrate mass with Fr Vincenzo on Mt. Calvary. He was surprised to see me; and I reminded him the last time we concelebrated it was many many years ago down in the crypt of the Chapel of St. Helena. It was good to concelebrate with him. This time I had the chance to observe how focussed he was, and how sincere, especially when he celebrates Mass. I'm lucky to have a friend like him, though he always scolds me ( but in a fun way). Our community invited him over for lunch, then his (former) community (and mine too since I was there for a year), the Terra Santa College, invited me over for dinner. So tonight I'll go over and meet up with old classmates and students.
Last night's renewal of vows at the garden of Gethsemani was very impressive. Almost 100 friars, young and old, from around the Jerusalem area came for the mass and vespers. Everyone remarked how well the seminarians sang, and the Mass went without a hitch. I didn't concelbrate because I had already celebrated Mass earlier that day, so i sat with Fr Marcello Buscemi, our expert in Greek and St. Paul. We walked together to Gethsemani and back as well. It's always good to walk together in our part of town - you'll never know what'll happen especially when it's so dark. I went for communion and the Custos has distributing the sacrament: I saw his hands shaking and thought he must be really tired with all his work and travels around the world. After Mass he gave each one of us a copy of our Rule. When it came to my turn, he cracked a joke (which I thought was very embarassing, but he does that all the time with me) and the deacons and those around him heard and laughed - and it was all filmed by telepace camaramen! I hope they'll edit that part out! yeah... and I know all of you want to know what he said ..... that's for me to know and you to find out!!!!!
OK I'll be going to classes now - philology again.