Friday, November 2, 2007

All Souls Day

It's All Souls Day. We remember with love all those who had gone before us marked with the sign of faith - but then even the wicked have souls. So we should be praying for their souls as well. In fact I think they need our prayers more than those who are already in heaven. Life is short, and sooner or later it'll be our turn to be remembered on All Souls Day. So let's not waste this little precious time that God gives us on this earth. Spend it well, spend it meaningfully, and remember - no regrets.

Am feeling pretty sick today. Last night we had left-over spaghetti, lentil soup etc. but I'm sure it wasn't any of that - unless I'm ending up like the canaries. I think it was some of the honey sweets that I had to clear my throat - I'm allergic to honey products but didn't think a couple of sweets could do this to me. Fever, swollen face, sore throat and very red eyes. Just like the last time the penguins gave me royal jelly. Hmmmmm ... conspiracy theory ......

Anyway I had to preside at Mass this morning at 6.30am but didn't feel well at all. We sang the Requiem eternam but did the rest of Mass as recited, not sung. Later there'll be a procession to the Catholic Cemetary and prayers will be said there. In the evening at 5pm, another Mass (for all Franciscans) will be celebrated at our Franciscan cemetary in the garden of Gethsemani. Our own Mass (2nd Mass) will be at 7.15pm to be sung with vespers. I think I'll have to preside at this 2nd Mass. We're not giving God a holiday today, I tell you!

Changed the water of the bird-bath this morning after breakfast. The canaries love a bath (despite the chill) and were all lined up chirping and singing. It's so nice. I wonder how Rex and Regis are doing. Hope it isn't too cold in HK.

One bit of good news. The rules for the doctoral programme have changed. that means I don't have to go to Rome to study for my 2nd semester! Yeeeeaaaaaah! The Dean had a good talk with me last night after dinner - "I'm talking to you now as dean" he began. That means business. After a long talk (and walk. We walked as we talked. Not a very interesting place to walk, mind you because we have no garden. It was walking up and down our corridor. That's as fun as we can get over here. I passed by my room door about 10 times!) he asked to me to have a cup of chamomille with the emeritus dean and the secretary - waaah big shots. Scared me somewhat. Want to know what we talked about? - hahaha, you'll have to keep guessing! Anyway he did say that the video-conferencing lessons should begin soon so I have to get started setting up the machine.

I received a lovely thank-you email from Gabriella Allegra and the rest of the family. Remember they are the nieces and nephews of Fr. Allegra who came to Hong Kong 2 weeks ago. I'll see if I can post it up on the blog - but it's all in italian. So go study some italian already! Honestly if there's enough of you guys interested, I'll organise a course at our Bible Center.

And regarding my studies, well things are moving slowly ahead. I've found some interesting leads that I can research on and that will keep me busy for quite a while.

Meantime Irene wrote (3 times) to say she finally knows what I'm referring to, when I say "penguins". Obviously there's not enough stimulation on the grey cells during Wednesday evening classes! Wait till I get on the video-conferencing - it'll be merciless! And the nuns did show up in full force for Mass this morning in their official habit - black. I couldn't help thinking of you guys when you showed up for my lessons! Some things never change - they transcend cultural frontiers.

Yesterday I walked up to the Holy Sepulchre to pray but along the way, I met an old franciscan friar who was utterly lost. He wanted to go to the Holy Sepulchre but was heading in the opposite direction. I took him there, prayed and attended the benediction, and he was still around. He said if I could take him to St. Saviour Monastery and so I did. But it meant going home in the dark - it gets very dark by 5pm and the electric shortage in the Christian Quarter didn't help. Had to slowly walk down a whole street of steps in total darkness before reaching the 7th Station of the Cross (Muslim Quarter) where the street lamps were working. I kept telling myself "Walk slowly, don't fall" - my left ankle still hurts - but couldn't get the 7th Station out of my mind - Jesus falls the 2nd time.

OK my eyes are giving up on me. It's very red and I should rest them for a while.