Saturday, November 24, 2007

Moon over Judea

I think it was about 6am when I was totally knocked out - fell asleep and woke up at 7.30am. Missed Mass, missed breakfast, missed just about everything. Went to the library to check a couple of bibliographies and before I knew it, the bell rang for lunch. I couldn't eat much - no appetite after this morning's marathon work.

Went off to King David's hotel at 1.30pm and brought the Caveros to Bethlehem. The sky was beautiful and bright and the air was chilly - which is nice when you have to walk. When we reached Manger Square,we were surprised to find so many friar seminarians. William wasn't there so I think he left for Lebanon. I asked one what's happening and he said tomorrow is the feast of St. Catherine the patron of the Basilica. So they're having solemn vespers and Office of Readings. The two kawas were there. So Daniel had a nice surprise because we stayed to hear the solemn chanting of the psalms. Its good to hear solid gregorian chanting again - and I must say Fr Armando has done a good job training these young friars. They have good voices and they did it very well today - only the organist hitched once.

And to top it off, it's Debbie's birthday (one of the 4 Cavero daughters who have never seen a turkey - yes, you've not heard the last of this yet; and neither have I forgotten "hairdryer", or "overpriced", or "black widow"). We went off to Shepherds' Field, where you guys have never visited; and we celebrated Mass in one of the grottos - in spanish! I was pretty brave to do it as no one else was around to laugh at my spanish (I'm sure Daniel did!). On the way home, the view over the Judean desert was stupendous: there was a full moon over the desert (guess who took photos? haven't heard the end of this one yet too!). If you guys haven't seen it, you must come and see it - makes sense?

Our driver was Khalid, very professional and went all out to help. Mr Afifi sent his own private car to drive us to Bethlehem today - very kind of him. Khalid was once sent to drive me from Nazareth to Jerusalem, and he surprised me by bringing me to see old Ali, my former driver, who was then quite sick. Ali has since died. Khalid hasn't forgotten that and reminded me of it - that was 3 years ago! Anyway he's a nice guy so I promised I'll send him a couple of groups.

Now I want to sleep because tomorrow morning at 4.30am I have to go out and pick Cecilia from New Gate to go to the Holy Sepulchre for Mass. Later in the evening, we'll bring Daniel for Sunday Mass at Notre Dame Centre. In between I'm going to rest my legs because my ankle is as swollen as before. So good night! Buona notte!