Saturday, November 17, 2007

Hungry or Hungary?

Yesterday I was very busy taking notes; I decided not to go to the Way of the Cross, but again I thought if I can finish just one more passage I'd make it. After going though the text and typing it down in the computer, I thought I was already late (the Way of the Cross starts at 3pm in winter) but the clock showed that I still had 10 minutes - so hurried to change and went down. The crowd was less than last week, and the climb up to the Holy Sepulchre was still as tiring. Anyway made it there in one piece. I decided to stay on in the Sepulchre after the Way of the Cross as I wanted to celebrate Mass. But seeing the crowds in the Basilica, I thought I would have little chance of getting an altar. And there was a solemn entrance as well - meaning a group (usually with a bishop or cardinal) has requested that the franciscans make a special welcome at the entrance of the Holy Sepulchre. And it's solemn! The friars are all dressed in liturgical garb, the presider blesses the group with holy water, then invites them to kiss the Stone of the Unction while the Te Deum is sung with organ accompaniment.

Anyway it turned out that another group that booked for Mass at 5pm did not show up, and there was a small crowd of pilgrims waiting to attend Mass for the day. So the sacristan told me to preside at the Mass since all the other friars were officiating at the solemn entrance. I said the Mass in english thinking that there were english speaking people there - but it turned out to be very mixed: italians, arabs, swedish, russian ..... not a single one understood english! Well except William our Lebanese seminarian (remember him? He wasn't shaved last week! But yesterday he was - and so was I. And I had a haircut too - yes there's enough hair to cut, believe me! Now the guys at my place come up and rub my head because they say rubbing the head of a chinese brings them luck! Weird people I live with!!!!). He missed Mass yesterday morning at St. Saviour's so he wanted to join in my Mass - and served and read the readings as well. We chatted after Mass and found out he lost his dad last month: he's returning to Lebanon for 2 months next week. Hope he doesn't miss too much school though, otherwise we'll have to hold back his ordination (like in 4 years!)

Dinner was fun last night; Fr Tomislav (our professor in Ugaritic and Akkadian) told alot of jokes and we kept laughing throughout the meal. Fr Alliata (our archaeologist) was sitting next to me because a guest took his place; He asked me why I wasn't quipping back like everyone else - so I said God gave me only one mouth and for dinner time I use it to eat. He had a good laugh. After finishing my food I told him I can talk now because I've eaten my stuff - and he said "Good, say something for me to hear" and everyone kept silent to hear what I had to say. I said "I'm hungry!" and everyone laughed. It was pretty light-hearted last night, which is good for the end of the week. People are feeling more relaxed.

Today is the feast of St Elizabeth of Hungary (see the pun above?) so I expect a cake. Sr Geronima baked one yesterday because it was the feastday of Sr. Pieta. It was very nice - like an apple crumble. No leftovers!

I'll go to see the Custodial Secretary this morning to apply for my faculty to hear confessions - it's not automatic you know? When we come here in Israel we must apply to the Patriarch who grants us the right to absolve sins, otherwise it's invalid. Then later in the afternoon I'll clean the birdcage - the superior met me at breakfast and asked "Did you feed the birds?" so I caught the hint. Oh and I have to clean my room as well ..... hope my table and bed comes soon. Anyway with all this work I doubt I'll get any studies done; but it's the weekend so I'll let myself off this time! :)