Friday, November 9, 2007

Happy Feastday again!

Another feast today - the commemoration of the dedication of the Lateran basilica (St. John). Don't know what that is? It's the Pope's cathedral - him being the bishop of Rome, he has to have a cathedral for his diocese and that cathedral is St John's Basilica in the Lateran (a hill in Rome). Probably we'll have another cake today.

Yesterday evening after the blessing of dinner, the superior "reminded" everyone that there'll be an on-going formation talk at St. Saviour's monastery at 6.30pm. Everyone should go as we all need on-going formation. I was thinking "And I've got on-going deformation problems everyday...." And he "reminded" (euphemism again) everyone to participate in the Way of the Cross today (Friday) especially since it begins at our Chapel. Well I always thought it was strange that people spend so much time and money to come here and make a pilgrimage and visit the shrines and the Way of the Cross, while we who stay here don't bother to go to these places that are only 20 meters away! I guess we take it for granted that the shrines are always there so one day we will walk over and pray in it. Hmmmm actually I spoke about this to Jean Paul last week, and he agreed. Got to change our attitudes.

Today we had Philology classes again after last week's holiday. It was good to get back to the routine. I actually enjoy the lessons, just that Fr Buscemi speaks very quickly and I can't manage to catch everything he says. The class grew from one student (me) to 8 now.

The promised rain never came. It's hot again and very dry. The winds just blew the rain clouds way past us and into Jordan in the east. But the nights and mornings are chilly. It may sound nice to some of you - but it's making us sick with colds. I think at any given one time, one quarter of the community is sick. My cough is much better now but the aridity is causing nasal muscous to coagulate that blocks our breathing. Everyone is coughing or spitting it out. Not very hygenic right? That's why I asked Asli to get me some alcohol gel. Paranoia!!!!!

Did you notice the photo of Rex and Regis at the bottom of the page? I miss them.

I guess I'll study now because in the afternoon there's the Way of the Cross and the talk; which means no more time to study today.