Saturday, November 3, 2007

Follow-up

I was in the library doing some reading when someone came along and gave me fantastic ideas of possible research topics regarding the Book of Wisdom. It was very exciting. I listened, took notes and immediately went back into my room to change and go out. OK so there's no logic here ... but then so's everything else here!

I went off to see Osvalda. She stays at our Franciscan hostel called Casa Nova. When I arrived, she already had two visitors, both from Telepace Jerusalem (It's a Jerusalem offshoot of a television network started in northern Italy). I happened to know them both so we all chatted for a quarter of an hour and left Osvalda to rest.

On the way back, I bought some things from our Christian neighbourhood all-purpose store. Got some handwashing liquid soap (sold in a packet of 3 bottles - one of which broke when I got home: so much for quality control), a bottle of Dettol (to disinfect my room: everyone laughed at the irony) and several menthol sweets (no more honey for me). Total cost - 33 shekels (= HK$66). Now is that expensive or what?

Anyway I took a slow walk downhill back to the Flagellation. On the way I met old Fr Beda a korean friar who's been here for umpteen years. He asked how my studies were - and I said OK, and he said "But it must be difficult to study at your age!" Mind you he's almost twice my age! So I left him to shuffle his way to the Holy Sepulchre where he listens to confessions - which is a good job for him AT HIS AGE; he's losing his memory, and I often chat with him to keep him company when he has no confessions to hear.

Then a little down the road I met Fr Ludovico Reali, the grand old man of pilgrimages himself. I guess he's in his late 80s, but when he was younger he would bring so many groups of pilgrims a year he would lose his voice (well, he lost it - he speaks in a husky whisper now). Every other year we used to buy him a portable loud-speaker from Hong Kong to save his voice. He is legendary. So he saw me coming and said "So you're now here?" I said yes and asked how he was. He laughed and said he's still on his feet (He uses a cane to help him walk now). Then he pulled my beard and laughed "It's getting white! You're not getting younger!" I know, I know - like everyone else is reminding me of it today!

So I think this is God's message for me - I'm not getting younger! Time to start on my thesis otherwise I'll reach retirement age before it's ever finished! But right now I feel so old and tired - maybe it can wait till tomorrow ...........