Sunday, November 25, 2007

Christ the King

Mass was very solemn today - Solemnity of Christ the King; the last Sunday before Advent. In an age where we fight for democracy, this feastday sounds a little odd. But it's precisely that - the Kingdom of God is a kingdom with no democracy. God is king - full stop. He rules absolutely. I think there must be some education about kingship in our schools or at least in catechism classes where we focus on the absolute sovereignty of God; not the negative experiences of kingship in our human political world. I think that may be a reason why young people are turning away from the Church - because they extend their political ideas of democracy into the religious sphere that teaches about an absolute creator. And mind you that extends into the family as well, so kids can defy their parents because they have their rights - only to abuse them. Parental authority loses ground when God's authority is belittled. Well let's see how far your democractic views of God will go when you're breathing your last breath at your deathbed, and you are no longer in charge of your life.... just simply losing control.....into the hands of Christ the King.

Cecilia attended the Mass at the Tomb of Christ which was all sung in latin. Then she went up to Mt Calvary to pray. This was all at 5.30am. I celebrated mass in the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament. A Malaysian group and a Singaporean group have also arrived and they want to see me, so today I'm taking time off from the Caveros to be with the 2 groups - lots of juggling with time here.

There'll be solemn procession around the Tomb of Christ at 4pm and I guess the groups will be there for that. Fr John Liu, a franciscan from my province is leading the Singaporean group and he has Mass at 5pm so I can catch up with him at the Holy Sepulchre. But not for too long because I have to bring the Caveros for Sunday Mass at Notre Dame center at 6pm.

Anyway I remembered everyone at Mass this morning (5.30am! was trying to stay alert!). Now Cecilia knows how far and uphill it is for me to walk to the Holy Sepulchre - she'll tell you about it when she gets home. I have to walk the whole Way of the Cross in order to get there, my monastery being the 1st and 2nd Stations of the Cross. I guess its strange when you guys "make" the Way of the Cross in Church, in devotion, while for us here its an actual road that we have to traverse everyday to get anywhere, sometimes not thinking twice about the chapels along the way - except maybe the 8th where I buy bread like this morning. The road is filthy with rubbish, spit and anything you can imagine from the 1st to the 7th stations; then it gets better from there. Anyway better not spoil your appetite; but you can imagine what it's like having to live here.

I'll have to leave now to see the other groups. The ankle is really playing up and I've got it bandaged - hope it doesn't give up on me today.