Thursday, November 8, 2007

Happy Feastday!

Happy Feastday! We remember John Duns Scotus today - our 14th century theologian who was known not only for his acute analysis of dogma, but above all his support for the Church and the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception. He was persecuted for both and died in exile in Cologne, Germany at the age of 42. Duns Scotus is the patron of the Studiums Biblicum Jerusalem and Hong Kong, and also our Pontifical University of St. Anthony in Rome.

Mass was very nice today - we sang several hymns and the penguins didn't show up for Mass. They probably had a Polish Mass celebrated for them somewhere. Anyway after Mass we went up to the refectory for dinner (If you haven't yet realised: my room is on the 3rd floor, the refectory is on the 2nd and the Flagellation Chapel is on the 1st - and mind you each floor is high, the roof in my room is 19 feet high - so it makes climbing up and down the stairs a terrible chore for an old man like me. Sei bei nei tai!). Fr Manns congratulated me for the feastday also of our travel agency and our bible centre. The other friars then remembered and congratulated me too. It was nice that the friars so far away here in Israel still care and think of our institutes in Hong Kong. Other friars who do not know this asked questions and wanted to know more. It was a fruitful breakfast.

At 8.15am I began my long walk up to St. Saviour's Monastery, the custodial monastery of the Holyland. The inauguration of the academic year officially begins on the feast of Duns Scotus, and everyone (teachers and students) had to come to this meeting. The Dean gave a report of the last academic year, then Fr Loffreda (our emeritus professor in archaeology) spoke of the excavation in Capharnaum. He revealed some very surprising finds that were never reported - like he found 2 pieces of Ming Dynasty pottery in Capharnaum! Now how did it get there? During lunch (he sits 2 seats away from me) he chuckled "You chinese are everywhere - even way back 500 years ago!". Another visiting professor presented his findings on the coins of Capharnaum and the new book which he wrote. Then the Custos ("custodian" or "provincial") of the Holyland gave a thank you speech. The inauguration lasted from 9am to 12pm. It was crowded with students of course, but also many visitors, like the head of the Pontifical Biblical institute in Jerusalem Fr Gilbert and heads of other theological colleges. I met an old friend there - quite a surprise - Prof. Leah di Segni, an epigraphist from the Hebrew University. She couldn't believe it was me - we last saw each other like 15 years ago. I think she could be retired now, but it wasn't the right place to talk about such things. Anyway she might invite me to join in a Jewish Passover again next year, as she used to back then. Then of course there were those young whipper-snappers (lay, religious or anything in between) who love to seen in crowds like this. I can't imagine why. They strut around in order to be noticed or they cling on the famous personages, hoping some glory can rub off onto themselves. I kept in a corner, even during the interval. The Custos came over and gruffly said "Be normal! Get up and show yourself!" You can never win, can you? What is the academic world coming to????

The walk back home was cool - like 17 degrees. I think I really have to wear my longs. Everyone else is beginning to thicken up with winter clothes. It's just that I hate to have to go through the 12 luggage to find my stuff. Maybe I'll just burn them, and warm myself in the fire.

Duns Scotus got his cake! It was great - biscuit layer with date filling. Everyone had seconds - except me. I decided to bring all the remaining cake back to my room! Unfortunately everyone else stopped me - they want the remainder for tea. Guess I'll have to come down earlier than them if I want my piece of cake! You can't imagine how the little pleasures in life that you take for granted, can be a big deal here in Israel. That's why I've been thinking - like yesterday - that you guys in Hong Kong should complain less and count your blessings. Never take things for granted. You'll never know how important things are till you don't have them anymore. That goes for people too, ok?