Wednesday, November 21, 2007

It's raining!

Yes finally the long-awaited rains came. It started at about 4pm when I was cleaning out the sacristy garden. Just a few drops. Didn't disturb my work. But after dinner, Jobi (an Indian student, 2nd year, who likes watching Jackie Chan movies) and I went out to the terrace to see if it was still raining - and it was. Not rain as you know it - it's that silent type of rain I told you, you don't feel it but the ground is all wet - nothing like a fog or mist, mind you - it's too dry for that. But it became heavier throughout the night. This morning I opened the chapel doors and monastery gate (I was the first one this morning in the chapel) and found it was still raining - not heavy; you know the kind - too little to use an umbrella but enough to get you wet. The kids at the Omariyya School opposite our monastery are very noisy this morning - all excited over the rain. In fact they're giving me a headache - have to close my windows.

I had only 40 minutes to clean the sacristy garden yesterday not because of the rain but because it was getting very dark and cold. But managed to do quite alot. Then celebrated Mass at the Condemnation Chapel at 5.30pm. Yesterday we remembered all the dead franciscans - part of All Souls day, but for our Franciscan Order. This morning was the Presentation of Mary. Not a feastday, just a memorial.

I've been following the news of the Bangladeshi typhoon. It's terrible. And I've been thinking here I am moaning about not having a table or bed and there are the Bangladeshis with no homes or food. Time to shut up and be thankful for what I have. And of course all of you should also say a little prayer for them.

One of my professors directed me to check out the library catalogue of the Ecole Biblique (Dominican Bible institute here in jerusalem) regarding books for my thesis. Thought it shouldn't be much of a problem. Turned out the librarian keeps the catalogue on a shelf 10 feet up, and its 10 volumes. And the amount of books on my subject is so large, I think I'll have to take 3 days to go through them all. But of course knowing what books are available is only one side of the story - next is I have to get permission to use the Dominican library. Hmmmm not too keen to walk out of Damascus Gate to the Ecole in the rain. Will put it off for another day.

Am going to stay high and dry today - except later this evening when I go to the airport to pick up Daniel and Cecilia. Hope they're prepared for this cold, wet weather.