Thursday, July 9, 2020

Too little, too late

Almost empty City centre
A record 1,231 new infections in the last 24 hours. News media and social media are blaming the govt for failing to contain the pandemic. The long awaited coalition ... after 3 elections in 1 year ... formed to combat the pandemic ... simply failed to give. It was more interested in the annexation of palestine. And that came to nothing. And so did the combat against coronavirus. Now with the situation out of control, hospitals on the edge of crisis, millions of citizens disregarding the toothless law, police not enforcing the toothless law ... the over all picture is of doom and gloom. A politician even warned that collapsed businesses will lead to violence, while demonstrations continue here and there. There is even an outbreak in the army which has now quarantined 10,000 soldiers. So one hospital chief decided to give some hope.   https://www.timesofisrael.com/bloated-and-sidetracked-netanyahu-gantz-govt-is-failing-israel-in-covid-fight/   and   https://www.timesofisrael.com/dont-panic-israelis-shouldnt-be-too-worried-by-virus-surge-hospital-chief/

Homemade pitta
Anyway the govt is warning it will lockdown 9 towns or neighbourhoods. That includes Jerusalem which has the highest rate of infection. I hear it might begin tomorrow (Friday when loads of muslims from across the country gather in the Al Aqsa Mosque) or Saturday (Sabbath when jews gather in synagogues). Everyone thinks it's too little, too late. I had bought dried noodles and some canned food just in case we're locked in again. And I have pitta for 10 days and some bottles of jam. That'll be enough for 20 days' survival.

And our indian sisters succeeded in baking pitta bread. I haven't tried it yet because I had bought enough for 10 days. But it's good to know we're able to make our own arab bread. Bravo!

I've just completed a free online course on health and healing in ancient Rome. Very interesting. Now Ive registered to study online another course ... on english literature. It's something I planned to do this summer during the partial lockdown. My summer holiday plans are on track! And even better ... my chest pains and asthma attacks have reduced significantly.