Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Garbage man

Crowds at Immigration Dept.
The Knesset (parliament) passed the bill to enforce stricter measures on public behaviour this morning. This was after the enforcement was anticipated yesterday with force of law. We see photos and videos of police and municipality agents warning people in public, even arresting and handing out fines. I really hope this will slow down the infection .... in the last 24 hours the number has shot up to over a thousand again, with 4 dead. I've realised that those who protest against these measures are leftists ... who claim there is no such need for lockdowns and masks and distancing ... it's all a rightwing conspiracy to silence the left. Well it's clear there's a lot of politics behind the viral infection strategy ... but to ignore the virus' existence is to condemn the country to ruin. The population will be decimated and weakened ... and consequently the economy will suffer in the future. You can't have a workforce 15 years from now that's constantly sick.   https://www.ynetnews.com/article/G93IWBSKE?fbclid=IwAR3YGa5ODazAzBcKTdaFhfw4xUEGlsZRCmzATCZL7vK2qLCNJSP6ziodKOk

Me the garbage-man
Israeli social workers continue their strike ... which is really critical now that infection rates have soared. I guess every sector has been hit hard but going on strike is not going to create more money in the national treasury. My good friend Rudy who used to sell souvenirs in front of St. Peter's Church in Jaffa just wrote a long post in his fb ... detailing how he's decided to close for good his shop as 3 months without business means no return, no recovery. He mentioned his depression and sadness but now he's accepted the reality and is trying to look for new venues to start a new job. I really wish him the best. He's always been kind and support to others ... now he needs our support. I on the other hand won't be out of work ... I'm the garbage man of the house. Every morning between 4am to 7.30am I gather loads of garbage from the house and throw them out at the designated bins in the street ... waiting for collection from the tractors.

Immigration Offices in Jerusalem were shut down last week ... no reason given. Now that it's reopened, huge crowds are lining up to get their passports or visas. The path to North America is open so people can still go in and out of the country to America and Canada. I guess that's how the virus travels from continent to continent.