 |
| Shops still open during lockdown |
The weekend lockdown came into force but it was not totally taken seriously ... at least on the eastern side of Jerusalem. The western/jewish side observes the Sabbath so almost all the shops are closed and few people go out except to the synagogues. But on the arab side it's the weekend and people want to go about as usual doing their shopping. I lost my key to my office (it's become almost a habit now) so this morning I went to east Jerusalem to see if I could get a copy made. All 3 shops were closed. But shops selling clothes and shoes and toys were open .... In a way it didn't surprise me. The eastern side is like a different country with only arabs living there. Anyway I came home and after a few hours I saw a video uploaded on FB showing police enforcing closure of these shops. Anyway the infections have dropped from 1900 to 1000 so that's a good sign.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/tens-of-thousands-at-beaches-parks-ahead-of-expected-lockdowns-on-weekends/?fbclid=IwAR3M_rfD1G2_FCCLXMCGUNYyN6fSDi72Bo91TLFgY7WnFbiC_00a9fuP3qc
 |
| 2am view of the Mt. of Olives |
The lockdown involves only shops and not freedom of movement. We can still go out ... but with masks and distancing. The news say that next weekend the lockdown will be harsher ... beaches and other public places will be lockdowned as well. Churches will be limited to 10 people I think. I'll celebrate the Sunday Mass for the armenians tomorrow.
Healthwise I survived yesterday's chest pains and dizziness and shortness of breath. It really felt bad and I thought a heart attack was on the way. Maybe I;m doing too much this summer. I teach daily for 4 hours during weekdays. Weekends I do my own reading and studies. I still wake up at 2am due to the coughing of phlegm and since I'm up, I water the flowers in both courtyards. Then I do some studying till 4am when I celebrate Mass alone. Then it's work in the library ... collecting used books, disinfecting them and all the furniture and tools in the library. At 7am I have to throw out all the garbage of the house and school ... which is a lot. Sometimes it's 4 huge garbage bags. They must be carried in a trolley 4 storeys down with the elevator to the road outside. Then it's administrative work in the library till 9am when classes begin. I guess I'll have to take August off as this routine is heavier than usual school semesters.