Sunday, July 19, 2020

Sunday normality

Damascus Gate market today
Lockdown was over this morning at 5am. But not before yesterday's countrywide protests. over a thousand demonstrated in Jerusalem near the PM's residence; and thousands more in Tel Aviv. Both ended in a bit of violence. In Jerusalem the police had to fire water cannons. I wonder when it'll all end ... there's so much tension in the New City. The protesters have vowed to keep it up till the PM resigns. I'm not holding my breath. Anyway the summer is certainly more eventful than I expected.
https://www.ynetnews.com/article/S1G5nCelv?fbclid=IwAR2hFWvA9vNPTpTywLhFLY5ESwzYw6WaI-FppClBmbdGhABq_XVhNxA-Ua0

Mass today
Hawkers and street vendors are out again after the lockdown. And people are out buying food and provisions ... a little semblance of normality. I had Mass at the Armenian Catholic church. 6 of the African Missionary seminarians came ... including Parfait the deacon. It's good that they come because they have nowhere to exercise their ministries as lectors, acolytes and deacons. And they've learned to recite the creed and sing hymns in armenian as well. The local armenians are very proud of them. We kept the number of congregants to 10 as the lockdown rule stipulates. But I think next week there'll be a couple more. I'll have to see what to do.

I'm avoiding everyone in the house as the viral spread is rampant and our guys are out studying languages or hiking like yesterday with other people. Very imprudent during this spike ... I'll have to be very careful. Staying in my room means more time to study. Buddy and JJ play with me every moment ... till they get tired and go to sleep which is usually on my shoulders. They're melting for summer so the room is gathering with feathers. It's daily cleaning ... but since I'm home all day, that's not a problem. They're still my best companions during lockdown.