Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Pets

Bulldog on a walk
No annexation today ... at least for now. The Israeli side is not able to go through the annexation as too many logistical elements have not been considered. Palestinians on the other hand are too divided to present a united response to land taken away. So it's a partial relief for us living in the East of the City as no riots are expected. But any u-turn of the present situation might cause a swing to violence. It's all suspense at the moment.

And as a warning, rockets from Gaza were fired into Israel. I don't believe it'll get any worse as it's a symbolic gesture to show they're not happy with the announced annexation. Police presence in and around the Old City have markedly risen. Road blocks have also been set up in several areas.

Meantime today saw 859 new infections. It's very bad. But it's not affecting most local's decision to stay home or wear a mask. People just give up when faced with indecision from the authorities. Everyone is doing what he/she thinks fit. I'll continue to go to work but with all the precautions taken. I might lessen my working days though. Work inside the library is safe because no one is around except thousands of old books. School vacation has started so there are no users coming to consult books now.

JJ and Buddy
And talking about going to work ... yesterday I saw the bulldog again. Saw him twice before ... without a leash, following his owners walk in the streets of the Christian Quarter. A beautiful specimen. Very stout and robust and healthy. Wish I had one. Instead I'm stuck with 2 spoilt parakeets. But they're really lovely guys .... and for now they're my best friends during these months of lockdown and social distancing. People locally have found pets a great comfort during these trying times ... especially for the elderly and sick. I'm sure petshots have seen a spike in sales on food and toys.