Friday, July 31, 2020

Empty streets

Empty main road today
It's Eid al Adha today ... the muslim feast of the sacrifice. Usually the streets would be full of hawkers selling toys, food and any thing you can imagine. But today there was no one in the streets. An eerie silence and empty space throughout the City inside and out. It's frightening. A couple of small families that came from other parts of the country sit under the shade of the olive trees at Damascus Gate park. A few young people walking about. But it was just no one otherwise. Municipality billboards wishing muslim residents and visitors a happy Eid al Adha stand ironically everywhere ... with no one to see. Newspaper reports say sheep sales have dropped significantly this year as many people have no jobs and therefore cannot buy a 1800 shekel sheep to cook and eat. It's very sad.   https://www.ynetnews.com/article/rJGmPPeZD?fbclid=IwAR2s93SxmHxfkFO0BgflMrR879x_CxrU3MtSY50SG36A8qrv2_PLufxVvHA

Infection rates have fallen from 2000+ to 1700. That's a good sign but will it fluctuate up again tomorrow? Demonstrations last night ended peacefully though the 2 opposing rallies were kept far apart by the police. Thank goodness.

Empty Palm Plaza today
I wanted to stay home today ... because of the heatwave and also to avoid contact with people. I'm trying as much as possible to voluntarily isolate so as not to put myself at risk of being infected. Doctor's advice. But there was an emergency call to discuss a contract. And there were requests for books; and a consignment of 30 boxes of ancient books arriving from the Nazareth monastery. So much to be done. In all it was 8 hours of work today in the other library. Luckily the chinese sisters heard I was at work and they made a lovely lunch of cold noodles which I love. I intend to go to sleep early tonight. Tomorrow I'll have to go back and follow from the contract discussion.

Besides my summer plans to read and study ... I should really do something physical. My doc and pharmacist say vitamin D is important to prevent corona infection. So besides taking Vitamin D tablets, I spend half an hour in the sun on the terrace. My superior told me to go for a walk instead of staying in my room all day. Normally I would go ... but with this heatwave, my chest pains and fear of catching the virus ... I prefer to stay within the house.