Saturday, July 11, 2020

Tawjihi Day

Dawn on Tawjihi Day
This morning, explosions were heard all over East Jerusalem and the Old City ... some fired just meters from my window. And it's going on from 8am till now 8pm. People not in the know think a war has started ... panic messages in social media. But it's Tawjihi ... the equivalent to GCE 'O' level results released. Those who pass celebrate by firing fireworks in broad daylight. Those who have cars will drive around the City honking their cars. For most of the kids, it's a milestone. But for equally many, there're no jobs available nor universities to attend. It's the end of the road. A huge struggle to survive lies ahead. Those with financial means might do some technical training or go to college. But for the majority it's loitering in the streets and depending on parents for food and lodging.

The Holy Sepulchre has been closed again ... as is the Basilica of the Nativity. We received warnings to keep social distancing and wear masks and wash hands ... something which we should all be doing for the past months. Because of disregard to these laws, the virus has spread again.   https://www.timesofisrael.com/jerusalems-church-of-holy-sepulchre-shuttered-again-amid-coronavirus-resurgence/?fbclid=IwAR0GPcJsEm0KQrmEt1XUL3drlB8PUlcDwtYaE1zj-LkHo_mSohwrNz9afNs

Boy selling bread
And yesterday's news that the Hagia Sophia basilica all be turned into a mosque appalled everyone ... well christians mainly. So much was destroyed once before in 1453 when the Ottomans besieged it ... and now more will be destroyed. The amazing golden mosaics will probably be plastered over again. I dread to even imagine what will happen.  

This morning I was given several articles to translate and correct. I had wanted to go to work in the other library but the heat was too much for me to walk there so I decided to stay home and finish this translation task. Luckily I stayed home ... because the loud explosions of fireworks have frightened Buddy and JJ all day. They were flying all round the room in panic. By afternoon there was a pattern in their panic behaviour: each time a series of fireworks exploded, Buddy would fly into the toilet to hide. JJ would fly to my shoulder and I have to keep him in my hands so he feels safe. Poor boys.