So I'm back online after yesterday's disturbance in my blog. And it's another national crisis today ... up north a war almost broke out. Last week Israel had bombed Lebanon ... accidentally killing a soldier. Lebanon threatened revenge and Israel rushed the army to the border. Yesterday apparently lebanese soldiers entered into Israel and Israel retaliated with bombings. Now the UN is calling for a cessation of aggression.
https://www.ynetnews.com/article/Hk114ZD6ev?fbclid=IwAR2_4jXGwHRR073XV2DR6yyAuErZNSCCCIsTcwaTSzO8A1Wr25ITZQEk3sQ
 |
| Busy market at Damascus Gate |
Meantime a group of religious leaders in Jerusalem met to pray for the end of Covid19. Though a few of such meetings have been organised already in this half year, this time it occurs a few days before Judaism and Islam celebrate their very important feastdays. On Thursday the jews will fast and lament for the destruction of their temples, once in 587 BC and again in 70AD on the same day. The muslims on Thursday evening start their feast of Adha or the sacrifice of Ishmael by Abraham. Both religions will fast ... and their leaders have called for a better understanding of each others' religions and tolerance and "baseless love". That word is a play on "baseless hatred" which the ancient rabbis blamed for the destruction of the temple. By the way, the temple was built over the rock where Abraham tried to sacrifice Ishmael (Isaac in the jewish-christian tradition).
https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/sheikh-rabbi-hope-baseless-love-joint-fast-will-stop-covid-19-636492?fbclid=IwAR1t5a888gsGDPPxKSLtcr7pYllqC-U-N02XOM-SxfhltgOJaw33p7pfe3E
 |
| Sr. Pelagia sells hosts |
Because of the upcoming feasts, jews and muslims are buying up food to cook in advance because they cannot work on the feast day itself. The markets inside and outside Damascus Gate were very busy. I had to pass through it ... with a lot of trepidation in case I catch the virus in the crowd ... while on my way to the Spanish Sisters' convent to buy communion hosts. It was good to see Sr. Pelagia who makes and sells communion hosts. Because of the lockdown, I hardly see the sisters any more. I bought 100 small communion hosts from her and she added several more gluten-free hosts as a gift. Then I walked to M. Teresa's sisters to help the old sister who had the ankle operation. I wore the mask all through that. Not taking any chances.