 |
| Grapes for harvesting |
What a week of protests! News from Hong Kong has practically died out in the media ... but massive demonstrations in Lebanon and Catalonia are grabbing the news. Locally we're nervous when there's a regime change in Lebanon ... any instability there could have ramifications here in Israel. And yes ... even locally we've had our share of rowdy crowds. 2 days back a huge riot brought out when ultra-orthodox youths began attacking police ... apparently some were under the influence of alcohol while celebrating the Sukkoth feast. They blocked the main roads and attacked arabs and even the police who came to control the situation.
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-hundreds-of-ultra-orthodox-teens-attack-palestinians-in-jerusalem-1.8003161?fbclid=IwAR3m_fh81Gawuq3Uc-A3h_T4vOZ_Yp_MP6n7wVtRUwym0GEbqfMAfKUIiPI
and
https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Violent-clashes-between-Haredi-youth-and-police-in-Jerusalem-604909?fbclid=IwAR2ASDAnybxWeQmIPKUoAhSYKs10dnjJyTrj0Nbsm3x4b-EAyseXENPi19A
It's the olive harvest now and news reports say extremist settlers have attacked arabs and jewish rabbis who helped in harvesting the olives. It does spoil the meaning of Sukkoth, just violence.
https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Palestinians-Rabbis-attacked-allegedly-by-Jewish-extremists-in-Burin-604859?fbclid=IwAR1h038jvWQ4MvlEi9KulQ30Q8t8mSO-O226otdZg6R_tRqGLppB41OlNVA
 |
| Beggars on Friday |
My health is getting better with the medication. The fever only came twice today but I'm still coughing badly. And my sprained back still hurts. But I've survived the week. Today being Saturday and eve of the final day of Sukkoth, police presence was heightened in and around the Old City. I didn't go out all day as the doc told me to avoid crowds. But after dinner I needed some fresh air so I walked to the bakery to buy bread for tomorrow's breakfast ... and the there was a cool breeze blowing. Lovely autumn weather. Now if only it would rain.