Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Rain?

Empty street at
Damascus Gate
Someone's been hacking my blog. One day my viewers number 190+, another day 10+. The fluctuation is too big to be normal. But I'll still blog ... to let you into a bit of my daily life in the Holy Land and let you know that I'm still alive. When there're no updates for several days in a row ... then you'll have to start worrying.

There was another stabbing attack this morning. This time at Hebron and the attacker was a female. In winter time when people wear thick clothes, it's easier to hide weapons. I guess this is just be beginning of another wave of terrorism. We did have a relatively quiet summer though. Last night coming home at 8pm, the streets inside Herod's Gate where the last stabbing attack took place a couple of days ago, was totally deserted. It was eerie. People are avoiding that area as police security is extra tight around there. Nobody wants any trouble. Usually the place is packed with people, from shops filled with people buying fruit and meat ... to kids riding bicycles and youths smoking and chatting at corners. Last night the silence and emptiness reminded me of the war years, the curfews that were imposed. It wasn't a good feeling.

Grey skies today
The weather is very cool and today the sky is dark with rain clouds. It would be great if it rained. I do have to walk 1lm uphill to another school to teach though ... but rain is always welcome.

One great piece of news: Tel Aviv municipality has banned all plastic utensils in schools. What a great move! Hopefully other cities will follow the example. But I'm not counting on Jerusalem to do that. Jerusalem lives by its own rules.

My health is on a plateau now. Mostly stable. Even my right ankle has stopped hurting. It's only old age that's impeding normal work ... walking long distances, climbing stairs ... all have become very difficult. It's part of life, I guess.