![]() |
| Mounted police at Damascus Gate |
https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-shuts-down-for-yom-kippur-2/?fbclid=IwAR3X4JM7UNBc6PJD7eBJQOYBDvVLRL-s_5A_IccutI9POOKebPh9x2hC160
On the eastern/arab side of the City, life was as usual last night. Kebab sellers were roasting in the streets and people continued to loiter around in the chill, enjoying the breeze. But this morning most arab shops were closed. Not because they observe Yom Kippur but because all the borders with Palestine are closed and shopkeepers living there cannot come to Jerusalem to open shop. Hence even East Jerusalem was also relatively quiet.
![]() |
| Only police cars on the streets |
Closure of the borders meant that our workers living in Palestine could not come to work. I was rushing between the 2 libraries because both were short of workers due to the closure. Then those workers who have Israeli citizenship have Yom Kippur as a compulsory day off. I could get no paper work done in our IT and Finance departments due to this. I'm quite afraid for next week when Sukkoth starts because the borders will be closed for a week. No workers for a week!!! I'll be working time and stretching to the limits.

