Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Stromata

Kids' concert at Zion Square
Yesterday was the last day of Sukkoth. As soon as the feast ended at sunset, a new feast immediately began: Simhat Torah "joy of the Torah". its a celebration of the start of a new cycle of Torah study beginning with Genesis 1:1. It's a very joyful feast and jews dance and sing while carrying the Torah scrolls. Our streets were closed off to traffic due to the massive crowds of jews going to the Wailing Wall to celebrate the feast last night. I went out to see the celebrations but the crowds were so big and security was so super tight I couldn't even get pass the 3rd Station. So I decided to go out of the Old City instead and enjoyed the breeze at Damascus Gate. It was just as crowded there ... but there was more space to mill around. Music and concerts were everywhere in the New City. Young and old were enjoying themselves.

I had a tiring day though ... beginning with class at 4am and then presiding at the conventual Mass. At 8am I had to prevent the Library's use and rules to the new students, then a hurry to the other library to help out as only one worker was at work. At 10am another class till 12pm, then a mad rush back home to the university library because there were no workers during the lunch break. The evening walk was a good break and the cool winter wind was a great help.

Bus to Bethlehem
This morning I had to leave early for Bethlehem to bring food and medicine to the MC sisters serving the poor in the area. After a bible conference and Mass, I rushed back home to preside at lunch prayers. By then my fever returned and my wheezing became very bad. Everyone told me to rest instead of going back to work. So I did. I really feel sick. The course of antibiotics ended last night but it doesn't seem to work.

News these 2 days is all about the massive protests in Lebanon and Catalan. Now it's in Bolivia and Chile. Everyone could not help but see a connection with these and Hong Kong. An Al Jazeera discussion panal attributed social media in emboldening these other countries after the example seen in Hong Kong. Well ... if only charity and tolerance can spread just as easily.