Thursday, October 24, 2019

Update

Students photographing 
It was a very busy 2 days yesterday and today. Yesterday was class morning and afternoon ... and today it's class again in the afternoon. It can be very exhausting when you have to concentrate on students who don't seem to understand the material. Students nowadays don't take notes. They record my talks and photograph whatever I write on the whiteboard. Technology. I avoid giving printed notes to my students as I want them to listen attentively. But with smartphones doing all the job, I guess I'll have to change methodology.

Crowds around the Empty Tomb
This morning I made a visit to the Holy Sepulchre. A visiting prof wanted to know more so I brought him around the basilica. It was a nice visit .... leisurely and informative. There were crowds there but not as much as the previous weeks. The tourist boom will turn up near Christmas time.

Unease is spreading around the country as Israel gathers anti-missile batteries and discuss plans for a drone attack from Iran. The threat is real but we're not sure how eventual it will be.  https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5611722,00.html?fbclid=IwAR2ImuxDhhIiboBpYL_Oozk62FP8taDh3CJFVyRI_yRRTE0HiOZN2KYr8Mg

And the power of the rabbis are incontestable .... here's a report on the holiday of Simhat Torah when no work is allowed. A city was left in the darkness when an electric cable snapped. The residents had no food, lights or aircon because the repairmen couldn't come to repair it ... because the City's rabbi forbade any work to be done.  https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5611265,00.html?fbclid=IwAR0eKA-6La7D25P_g-Pvp1f1uBcVWVbrLDjTRGSQRTD-jp1GxT_wB8c887M