Tuesday, October 1, 2019

St. Therese feast

Ethiopic candle-lit liturgy
Yesterday's jewish New Year coincided with the christian Orthodox feast of the Holy Cross. The Ethiopic community had a colourful celebration up on the roof of the Holy Sepulchre since they have no rights to celebrate inside the basilica. It was a great occasion to witness the ancient music and dancing liturgy ... very unique in the Orthodox family because they use cymbals and huge drums. And the clergy dance during feast days. Very impressive if you have ever seen it.

Ethiopic bishop
Though today we're in the 2nd day of the jewish New Year, most shops are still closed. And many people continue to take a holiday. Most observant and orthodox jews wear white this week in preparation for the feast of Yom Kippur in 9 days time. It's days where they ask for forgiveness of sins and make reparation. Every night they go to the Wailing Wall and pray the selichot (repentance) prayers. I've seen orthodox jews even wearing only slippers and not shoes as a sign of penance.

Today I went to Bethehem to celebrate Mass for the MC sisters and brought them cooked food which we did not eat because most of us are not at home for dinner last night. It's the feast of St. Therese of whom M. Teresa was named after. Her famous Little Way of the spiritual life if today hardly considered in a world encrusted with ostentation and self-interest. Anyway I was quite worried when I reached Bethlehem that the checkpoints would be closed because of the jewish New Year and I would not be able tot make the bus home. Luckily it was opened and the buses were running. When I got home I helped at laying the lunch table but sprained my lower back in the process. Am in bed now ... every movement hurts. I wonder how long I shall need for recovery.