Chaos and consternation as the Old City gates were totally sealed off at 4.30pm. No one allowed in or out. Soldiers and police rushing up and down the street, doing house to house search. Apparently the word spreading around is an Israeli police was stabbed - *to death, according to some*.
I was just going out to the holy Sepulchre when it happened. Our doorman had closed out gates for security and told me not to go out but I needed to go to the basilica so he urged me to run there, get out of the streets. I got to the Sepulchre and remained there until 6.30pm when I could return home ... the gates were reopened but military presence was every few metres apart. Tension in the streets.
Meantime Gaza fired countless rockets into Israel. Israel right now is retaliating by bombing Gaza. The escalating violence is worrying countries all around.
Is this it? Is this the beginning fo the war we were expecting?