Monday, August 1, 2011

St. Alphonsus Ligouri

Today we remembered St Alphonsus Ligouri, the founder of the Redemptorists and moral theologian. I wonder if he works miracles for stomach cramps and diarrhea. Had a severe attack yesterday after eating rice and chicken. And looking back 3 days, I realised I was eating moldy food (rice and chicken as usual) that I kept in my room for  couple of days. Yucks. And the peaches ... the last three have also gone moldy but I ate them. I believe penicillin is good for you!

Ramadan started last night with fireworks exploding the whole evening. Crowds in the muslim quarter pushed their way through to the mosque. The wakers went their rounds at 3am waking everyone up to eat before the fast began today. In the morning the streets were deathly quiet, shops were mostly closed.

In Israel, offices and shops also remained closed but because of a general strike. http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/most-israeli-municipalities-declare-general-strike-in-solidarity-with-housing-protests-1.376251    Meanwhile Lebanon and Israel exchanged fire early this morning. Bad sign for regional stability - if there is such a thing. http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/israeli-and-lebanese-troops-trade-fire-across-border-1.376340   And a shootout between Israeli soldiers and Palestinians at Kalandya resulted in two arabs dead. And so Ramadan begins.