Saturday, August 6, 2011

Transfiguration

Sleeping by the sea, hearing the crash of waves on the coastal wall, the fresh salty wind blowing ... it helped me relax a little last night. I managed to sleep 3 hours ... which is good; and I had no asthma. And had an appetite as well. It was a nice start to the Feast of the Transfiguration. Solemn Mass is being celebrated on Mt. Tabor right now.

Tents in front of U. Bank
Religious Jews celebrating the Sabbath
Banners, chants and lots of people
Last night, Apollinario, Hugo and I went out for dinner. The Thai restaurant was fully booked so we went to a sushi restaurant "Moon". On the walk home, we went through the Tent City along Rothschild Boulevard. I couldn't believe my eyes. I was there on the first day of the protest and there were only 10 tents at the angle between Rothschild and Ben Tzion. Last night I saw the entire length of the Boulevard almost a km. long filled with tents - and occupied by very diverse types of people: students, parents and children, old people, religious and secular. Bands were performing at several junctions, a clown was entertaining the many children camped out there, religious Jews were singing psalms ... even the scouts have a section of tents of their own. Tonight begins the Mother of All Protests http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/israel-protest-leaders-prepare-for-third-weekend-of-mass-rallies-1.377242  They expect a massive crowd not only in Tel Aviv but throughout the whole country as well.

The Ramadan crowd and market at Damascus Gate was very subdued this morning - due to the massive military presence. Soldiers and police everywhere. People just moved on quickly, vendors don't shout their wares ... it was a nice change form the chaos. Let's hope the rest of the weekend will pass without any major incident.