One memorable phrase from the documentary is: "Fr Damian showed that the lepers were worth dying for." I wonder how many of us can say that about those we fear and despise.
Fr Buscemi and I went for a walk and we spoke about Damian. He said there's a very good film on Damian's life that I should watch.
Also today is the canonisation of Jeanne Jugan, the foundress of the Little Sisters of the Poor. She too suffered very much, maligned by the clergy and congregation; forced to live in silence in the novitiate even though she was the foundress, forced not to reveal the true founding of her congregation and she died unknown and forgotten. It was only after her death that the truth came out and her sisters realise that Jeanne Jugan was their true founder. Her work with the aged poor is world-reknown now.
St Damian of Molokai and St. Jeanne Jugan, pray for us!
Fr Buscemi and I went for a walk and we spoke about Damian. He said there's a very good film on Damian's life that I should watch.
Also today is the canonisation of Jeanne Jugan, the foundress of the Little Sisters of the Poor. She too suffered very much, maligned by the clergy and congregation; forced to live in silence in the novitiate even though she was the foundress, forced not to reveal the true founding of her congregation and she died unknown and forgotten. It was only after her death that the truth came out and her sisters realise that Jeanne Jugan was their true founder. Her work with the aged poor is world-reknown now.
St Damian of Molokai and St. Jeanne Jugan, pray for us!