Monday, November 1, 2021

Tourists are back

Reporters at Damascus Gate
 Yesterday was a hectic day as I had to prepare a new course for the Bible Institute in India with Powerpoint presentation. It's a Masters level course. I didn't know how to install Powerpoint, or use it in Zoom so I had to learn from others. Very interesting. It makes the class alot more interesting and engaging.

It is still tense in and around the Old City. Israeli soldiers stop and search arab youths - male and female - and I have seen in one day alone 2 arrests at different times of the day. Both handcuffed. They probably entered Israel without permits.  I feel nervous being around there, as I myself was stopped and almost shot by a soldier several years ago in winter. It was a traumatic experience.

Today Israel opened its airport to tourists again after 20 months of lockdown. But  to tourists with 3 vaccinations that are recognised by Israel. Our streets are seeing small groups of americans all week already. It a prelude to the Christmas season when Israel expects crowds to return. The problem is now to agree with Bethlehem (Palestine) how to allow tourists into the enclave and if they are allowed to remain overnight there. All the tourists are old americans who have the time and money to spare. The younger ones need to work and pick up from the months of lockdowns that left them jobless and moneyless.

However the weather is gloomy with heavy clouds. It's cool but not very inviting ... nevertheless the tourists enjoy themselves. It's a new beginning.