 |
| Sandstorm |
What a sandstorm we're having right now. The Mt. of Olives is hardly visible. Every corner is filled with very fine sand from the southern desert. It gets into your eyes and mouth and nose. I was working in the library and noticed the sky was getting darker by the hour ... and cold too. Then I started coughing. Didn't know why till the librarian came to tell me there's a sandstorm blowing. I went home slowly walking .... with a mask. Many others were also wearing masks. The sun was blocked out by the yellow clouds and visibility was up to 3km. Just read from the news that sand from as far as Saudi Arabia are blowing into the country due to very strong winds.
Still it was a Saturday and I had finished my work for the week. Time to celebrate. I called Fr. Romeo to come out and join me in a little walk at the Damascus Gate open market. He came wearing a mask too ... and coughing from the sand in the air. We chatted about our day while sitting in Palm Plaza.
 |
| Sandstorm at Palm Plaza |
Then we walked along the open market. Lots of minivan taxis yelling for passengers to go to Tel Aviv. Being Saturday migrant worker get a day off and they come to the churches in Jerusalem. Indians, filipinos and ethiopians all flock here every Saturday to pray and make a pilgrimage.
We went to the bakery to buy bread for tomorrow's breakfast - Its Sunday and we try to enjoy our breakfast with something a little more substantial. Then we wen to buy a few chicken nuggets at Miami Chicken ... something to celebrate the weekend for dinner tonight. Then we walked down East Jerusalem through Herod's Gate and got home. A nice walk in the sandstorm. Something different to break the routine of a busy week. Well I'll be staying indoors as the air is really bad for asthmatics.