 |
| Roadblock on Wednesday night |
Wednesday saw a stabbing attack 50 meters from my house. The streets and City Gates were all closed. That was when I decided to check the news and saw the alert. I had to go home from work and walked all the way down to Damascus Gate, noticing the main road blocked off to traffic by the police. Then crowds were walking upwards to New Gate, telling me to turn back as Damascus Gate was closed. New Gate was the only City Gate opened because there was a small music fest which could not be postponed. SO I walked back uphill to New Gate where and roadblocks I started from, got an attack of asthma that made me very sick. The gatekeeper gave me a glass of water and I sat there for a quarter of an hour before walking through the dark streets of the Old City to get home. When I reached the inner fork road of Damascus gate, it was blocked by police who won't let anyone enter. So I had to wait for half an hour and the police told me to take the side alley as the main street will not be opened any time soon. So I had to walk up hundreds of steps uphill to get back home ... and I was very sick after that. Yesterday I spend the whole day resting in bed.
 |
| Before the rains begin ... |
And my internet connection was broken for over 36 hours. It was a mystery why. The technician came and spent 2 hours trying to find out the problem and suddenly the main router restarted itself and it worked again. That was a relief. I cancelled several classes due to this break in the connection.
Everyone is excited that the rains are coming. Yesterday the coastal cities had their first wet winter this year. It still has to come inland to the central mountains hopefully by today. There was a slight drizzle and you can smell the dampness in the air. People are buying foodstuff at the weekend markets now to avoid being caught in the rain later. I certainly hope it comes. It'll clean the air off the dust and sand from last week's sandstorm.