Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Ordination at last

Vesting my
student in
chasuble
It's been another tough day ... not just in terms of workload as I try to rush and get everything done before the national lockdown begins ... but because it's the ordination day of one of my seminarians. Now for all these 27 years I've never participated in an ordination of my student ... but this one was an exception. The candidate is a filipino who belongs to the Middle East Province of Salesians and speak good arabic. I had journeyed with him in this formation for the past 4 years, and I helped guide his BA thesis which he passed with summa cum laude. He had planned his ordination to be in October or December back in the Philippines ... but because of the pandemic, he cannot go home. So he hoped his family could come to the Holy Land for his ordination instead or at least watch it live streamed at the end of September instead. Unfortunately his mother died just over a month ago. Then the new lockdown was announced and the ordination that was planned for end of September was now brought forward to today before the lockdown begins .... all on short notice. The Archbishop is in Rome and cannot return in time .... so in an emergency move, the nuncio was asked to preside at the ordination. The poor guy had gone through so much ... and he asked me to vest him in the priestly chasuble and stole during the ceremony ... an act usually reserved for the parents of the priest. I was honored. I couldn't say no. So I set aside this afternoon for the ceremony to join him on his biggest day of his life so far. Wish him all the best in ministry and service!

Sr. Jolita kisses the hands
of new priest Fr. Rodil
The heat is still overpowering but there is a cool breeze that occasionally blows. The sun rises must later ... at 5am and sets earlier ...at 6pm. Autumn is on ... and very soon, winter will hit us again. I sure hope it'll rain plenty this time like last year. Wash away all the germs and viruses ... and keep everyone at home. What governments can't do ... Mother Nature does with speed and efficiency.

Its 48 hours to the lockdown. There're still lots of stuff to buy and stock up and I don't have the time ... tomorrow is my last day. But right now I'm utterly exhausted from the day's activities ... I've effectively walked 5 kms in total. Time to sleep first ... tomorrow's problems will be dealt with tomorrow.