Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Midweek

Dawn today
Another day of chaos. Though the Old City is not in the list of cities under curfew, suddenly at 10pm last night a directive was sent imposing a closedown of all schools inside the Old City. This morning was a scramble for schools to enable online classes ... and sending home students who came to school unaware of the closure. Nothing was said about libraries, so I had to go to our lawyers and Human Resource depart. to ask where the law stands for libraries. Apparently it's not included in the govt directives so it's up to us to decide. I left it to the Dean to decide.

Night curfew in the 40 cities and neighbourhoods was a failure ... according to a newspaper. No one complied. The police did not enforce. Life went on as usual ... out in the streets, gatherings... Well there're still 6 more nights to go ... so maybe some semblance of compliance may appear. I'm being optimistic here.  https://www.timesofisrael.com/a-charade-nightly-curfew-in-red-cities-mocked-as-measures-go-unenforced/?fbclid=IwAR2s8gFSpN_zE17hVESUyiMPU0Z7k_iNyo4He1vFJOsLRHV8yfou5yzJ37o

Albino ferret
On my way to our Human Resource dept this morning, I saw one of our neighbours enjoying the morning sun ... with his albino ferret. Shifty looking animal ... not a cuddly type as he has a nasty facial expression like a looney tunes cartoon character.

Most of the day was just spent in administration stuff ... boxes of books arrived, payment of salaries, filing of documents. And we had to set up a plastic partition between the reception counter and users at the library entrance. It's mandatory for libraries here. My hope is no one shows up. But just my luck this morning ... a covid positive religious came to return a book. She should know better and stay in her room ... but even religious people flout the law and belittle the effects of the virus. I refused to let her in ... she could only stay outside the front door and make her request which I refused. Utterly appalling.

The heatwave continues and last night was particularly hot. I couldn't sleep and the mattress felt like it was on fire. I had to go to the terrace and walk for a couple of hours. Forecast is for continued heat for the rest of the week.