Tuesday, September 22, 2020

 Here's another go at this blog from a different configuration. 

Near empty
street

The weather has been quite nice since yesterday ... you can feel autumn is coming. The nights are chilly and very humid. In fact there's fog over the Mt. of Olives in the early morning. And of course all the fruit are ripe and sold in the markets. The autumn harvest has begun and it's time for the Feast of Booths or Sukkoth which takes place in 2 weeks time. I certainly hope autumn and winter will bring a slowdown in infections ... it's like hoping against hope ... but miracles do happen.

I had planned to stay home today but a scholar from the patriarchate wanted to study some ancient arabic books that we hold. So I went uphill to the other library to work and wait for him. Then there were payments to made, request letters, scanning of books for students .... the whole array of library work but done by a skeleton crew of one. It's a lockdown and not everyone can come to work.

The streets however are not as empty ... people still go about their business. The police have not stopped me though they're at every street corner. We're allowed to walk 1km away from home and that's the distance from my home to the library.

I'm still suffering from an awful headache. I guess I'm not getting enough sleep as I'm working much more than during normal times. My right shoulder and heel also hurt very much. But maybe it's all old age. Retirement comes to mind.