Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Stromata

Sunrise at Rockerfeller Park
What a lovely walk to the Ivrea convent this morning. There was a chilly wind blowing but the sun was out and bright at 3am (solar time). Mass and Lauds was as usual with the Ivrea sisters and then I went out to their garden to see the lovely flowers. Their gardener was there and he brought me around to see a beautifully scented tree in flower ... I thought it was a buddleja but the leaves smelt like lemongrass. The gardener told me the leaves may be used to flavour salsa for spaghetti. I should try it one day. Anyway the gardener promised to cut me some branches for planting in winter.

View of the Dome of the Rock
from Musrara
Instead of going home after Mass I went instead to the other library because today my volunteer is off and no one is working there. Even as I opened the library door, there were already 3 requests for books and reference material. Looks like a busy day. And I have class in the afternoon. I'll probably have to rest early tonight again though I'd love to finish reading a book on 1st century medical practice.

The govt is not considering lockdown again because the economy needs picking up. However all other plans to ease lockdown are put on hold. What is now opened, remains open. Schools may have to shut though as there are over 17,000 infections in a week. Authorities are calling on everyone to observe the restrictions, wear masks and keep distancing .... but the police are not willing to enforce it so they people couldn't care less. It's actually up to the police.   https://www.jpost.com/opinion/put-on-a-mask-to-prevent-a-second-covid-19-wave-630882

And last night there was a silent clash in Jaffa as people protested the killing of the autistic man near my house ... and the plan to build a geriatric home over a muslim cemetery. It got quite violent and riot police were called in to quell the chaos.    https://www.ynetnews.com/article/S11K1P628#autoplay