Saturday, June 13, 2020

St. Anthony feast

Relic of St. Anthony at
the Holy Sepulchre
Another feast today ... in fact it's a solemnity here for us. St. Anthony of Padua (or Lisbon) ... who is the patron saint of the franciscans in the Holy Land. There's the Gloria and Credo and 3 readings at Mass. We've been praying to St. Anthony these past 2 months to rid us of the coronavirus. He's famed for chasing out demons and ridding plaques from cities. Let's hope he hears us and gets the job done soon. There's a relic of him at the Chapel of the Apparition in the Holy Sepulchre and the ancient statue of the saint is displayed at the St. Saviour parish.

The day before there was a solemn Mass and procession at the Holy Sepulchre for the feast of Corpus Christi. Like all the liturgical celebrations nowadays, we join in only through live streaming. It's better than nothing.

Corpus Christi in the Holy Sepulchre
Right now I'm in a dilemma. I came to the other library and started work ... only to discover I cannot find my keys. Now I'm locked inside the library. I must have had it with me otherwise I won't have entered the library ... but after I closed the door behind me I just cannot find it anywhere. Another job for St. Anthony ... patron saint of lost articles. Help!!  

The viral infection has shot up to 226 overnight and all the talk is about wearing masks and keeping distance ... but it's not enforced rigorously. I know in certain spots police are handing out fines to deter such irresponsible behavior ... but over 90% of the places, the police are not doing anything. It's disappointing ... for the elderly and the sick who are high risk. Me included.  https://www.ynetnews.com/article/rkEKzVZpU?fbclid=IwAR2oqnSMeUEdEQlAG4IlSgYmOACHuU4n98So7d7BOZCvwHDdZ8ncCtooYTs

And bracing for a 2nd wave ... the country is making its own masks ... except there's no guarantee anyone will wear them.   https://www.ynetnews.com/article/rJ2DdOqn8?fbclid=IwAR3j6IHalzSsNfdPkxkGgTPmbHwwLKLFgaq-nLbU4R3-a90rnQb5x_tu6-U