Monday, June 22, 2020

Higher fines

Ramadan lights still up at Damascus
Gate
Fines for not complying with wearing masks is up from 200 shekels to 500 shekels. But that's about all. The PM is lamenting over the obstinacy of people not abiding by the rules ... and it rings hollow as the govt doesn't have the political will to change the situation and the people just don't care less. I'm just utterly aghast at the lack of civil mindedness here ... both in the east and the west of the City. They don't learn from our experience in Asia.

And contradictory reports from virus govt sectors are just confusing people. One "expert" claims the virus is weakening and so no vaccine is needed. At the same time the Coronavirus committee warns hospitals to prepare 4000 ventilator beds. Can't blame the people ignoring the govt when such ridiculously opposing views are being published.  https://www.jpost.com/health-science/covid-19-is-weakening-could-die-out-without-vaccine-specialist-claims-632324
and
https://www.jpost.com/health-science/coronavirus-cabinet-to-convene-as-cases-climb-632341

Archbishop celebrates Mass for us
It was the first time in 4 months that I went out in the night. The Archbishop came to celebrate Mass for the chinese religious in Jerusalem. We were 7 in all ... and the Archbishop came with his deacon. It was a nice simple Mass and our chins sisters renewed their vows in front of the Archbishop. Then we had a simple dinner at the chinese convent. There was lively chat as the Archbishop was interested in our work and life in Jerusalem. After dinner it was a long walk home ... by then 8.30pm. We chanced upon Damascus Gate lit up with Ramadan lights ... still. It's the first time I've seen it since the lockdown. Rather nice scene.  

Well I' starting to put my summer holiday plans in action. Sign up for some online courses. Read some of my favourite books ... and going for quiet walks as long as there're no lockdowns. I need the open air.