Monday, March 2, 2009

Wet Monday

The weather remains gloomy. The sky is overcast and a constant drizzle carpets Jerusalem. It's like it's going to storm, but it never really gets there. A bit frustrating.

I was out this morning to buy medicine for the Missionaries of Charity - got loads of stuff but had to walk back home (almost 1 km) with 5 heavy bags. Finally I couldn't go on, so I telephoned the sisters to wait for me at the 3rd Station so they can bring the medicine directly to their convent and later into Gaza, without me lugging them through the Way of the Cross back home and then back to their convent later in the day. (I bet when you guys make the Way of the Cross each Friday in your clean churches and well-organised liturgy, you never realise the crowds that actually walk up and down the real Way of the Cross here in Jerusalem, doing business; the grime in the streets, the shouts, the jostling, the Israeli soldiers standing around with their guns, the arab kids playing and eating, everyone spitting, and people like me carrying heavy stuff home). I was exhausted when I got home. Spent 2000 shekels (almost US$650) getting the urgent supplies. Still have to go back to get more tomorrow morning. They need simple things like antibiotics, paracetemol, cough syrup, baby powder and lots of valium (which I can't get) as the people in Gaza are breaking down under pressure. Oh, and lots of dettol as well. I also really want to get water-purification pills but I can't find them. Anyway this good deed was made possible through your kind generosity. We'll be praying for you.

A heart-warming news article for Lent. http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/03/02/china.disabled/index.html?iref=mpstoryview If only we all could do something to make life better for others.