Sunday, March 1, 2009

1st Sunday of Lent

Somehow I was totally exhausted yesterday - probably for not sleeping after I accompanied Ephrem to New Gate in the stormy night. The professors were saying my eyes were extra small because I was too tired and should go to sleep, which I did - the whole afternoon.

Woke up at 5pm to prepare for Vespers and Lectio Divina by prof. Sabino Chiala, a monk from the Bose community who's an expert in ancient Syriac writings. gave a very good commentary on the Sunday readings. But the church was so cold - even our Slavic Fr. Tomislav who's used to the cold said it was extraodinarily cold yesterday.

The Lenten schedule of liturgies is underway. That means 1.30pm Saturday there's the solemn procession of friars inside the Holy Sepulchre; then at midnight they sing vigils and proclaim the resurrection of Christ. This goes on for every Saturday of Lent. It was too cold, rainy and I was too tired to go last night. So maybe next Saturday.

Today I'm cleaning my room. The sky is threateningly dark and the storm will likely break in an hour's time. So cleaning my room sounds like the best idea.