Sunday, March 8, 2009

2nd Sunday of Lent

Yesterday was a very hot day - some 25 degrees. But inside the house, it still feels cold. It was also a muslim feast but I don't know which. The muezzin was singing early in the morning and there're lots of muslims in the streets - very festive.

The previous day - Friday - I made the Way of the Cross. Actually I was helping the filming crew to film it. That meant running up and down the streets to get the best shots. It was for the Custody of the Holyland and all the friars co-operated. It was good fun. But I hurt my ankle (the old problem with the left one) and should have stayed in bed that evening. But knowing me, I went to a catechism led by the neocatechumens at the Greek Catholic Cathedral. It was powerful preaching - fire and brimstone. And I did learn something for my spirituality. It's a good time - Lent - to hear these type of sermons.

Back to yesterday. Went to the new Curia building at St. Saviour's monastery to do something - then rushed off to the pharmacy where I owed US$100 because when I bought all that medicine for Gaza, I was short of money. Got home and had lunch. Then I had to discuss with the superior and Marco regarding the liturgy for the coming week because it's our turn to lead the prayers. Pressure was on to get me to preside at the 8am Sunday Mass (today) and preach the sermon. Must admit that that scares me very much and have been avoiding it for the entire year. Well, got cornered into it so spent the entire afternoon preparing for the sermon. Good thing Osvalda our library assistant was around to help correct my italian.

I wanted to go to the midnight prayers (Vigil) at the Holy Sepulchre but when I woke up, it was already 12am. Too late.

This morning at 8am I presided at the Mass. I managed to get Fr Paul Sun and Sister Miaria Jiang to come along - because I wanted them to sing a chinese hymn at Communion time. They did a good job. The concelebrants were few - about 10 in all (which was good. Can you imagine preaching to your professors?) But the laity filled the Flagellation chapel. There must have been some 15 to 20 people in all. I was cared stiff when I started preaching. But it was soon all over and I quickly rushed up to change my clothes because Fr Buscemi was going out for his usual Sunday walk and shopping along the way, and I needed to buy some medicine.

It was a good walk, covering some 5 km. I didn't get my medicine but I bought some potato pastries - a treat for doing a good job during Mass! And I bought 10 starfruit as well - good for lowering BP I hear. Now Israel is growing lots of asian fruit - including lychee, mangoes, papaya and I think rambutan.

Today It's the 2nd Sunday of Lent (for the Orthodox, it's the 1st Sunday). The Orthodox pilgrims will soon be flooding the Old City as they do every year. One thought from today's 2nd reading is how much God loves us. He didn't even spare his only Son in order to save us from ourselves - so much is his love. Are we ready to accept such love?