Saturday, March 21, 2009

Coincidence?

Finally my turn to celebrate Mass at the Sisters of Ivrea is over. I must say it was a nice walk out at 5.30am to their convent about 1km away. The sun is up but there was usually a cold wind blowing. The streets were practically empty except for the bakers and soldiers.

Yesterday I made the Way of the Cross for all of you. Because of the huge crowds that follow, several of us decided to go ahead; so when the main group was making the 4th Station, I went to the 5th Station - inside the chapel where it's nice and quiet to pray. It was there that I had a terrible cramp across my shoulders or actually the shoulder-blades. It was excruciating. From left to right and especially the muscles on the backbone just seized up. It was so painful I became giddy; but I couldn't breathe or call for help. Stayed there in pain for almost 10 minutes before I could stand up. It was very very painful. And I was afraid if I continued to panic, I'll get an attack of asthma as well. For a quick moment I did think "what a coincidence" - 5th Station Simon helps Jesus carries His Cross and here am I with a terrible pain across my shoulders. So I offered it up for all of you. Not that it's worth much, but at least you know someone prayed and suffered for you at the Way of the Cross.

Managed to stagger up the hill to the 6th Station where I met Fr Giovanni and told him. He tried to give me a rubdown, but it was not convenient - being in the middle of the street. So I staggered on to the 7th to rest again inside the Chapel and pray for you all; and then passed the 8th and 9th Stations, straight to the Holy Sepulchre to sit down and let the pain go away. I thought if this was going to happen in the 5th Station, what would happen if I went up to Mt. Calvary at the 12th Station where Jesus died on the Cross? Played safe - I stayed next to the Tomb of Christ - the resurrection!!!!