Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Mystery bag

Was bogged down for the past few days with lots of things to do. And the weather was making me very tired. Just rushing and rushing around.

Last night when I was already in bed, the sisters form the kitchen called to say there's a plastic bag "outside" with my name written. I didn't have a clue where "outside" meant - could be the monastery, the courtyard, the school, the church ... so I quickly dressed and when searching. After 10 cold minutes out in the courtyard (remember the mummy?) I finally found the plastic bag on the table of the reception room. It was a fish in there - don't know what type it is: pretty weird looking with a funny bulged head and pinkish. It's quite popular here in local aquariums. But it was dying as there was no oxygen in the bag....floating tummy-up. So I rushed upstairs with it, filled up my empty fish-tank (tiny thing about 4 inches by 8 inches) and put it in. And it starting breathing again and swimming. I've been thinking who could possibly have given this fish to me - at 9.30pm too! Then I figured ... Mr. Fish (my black Siamese Fighting fish) died last week and everyone was asking after it (You can't possibly believe how many people know about Mr Fish - besides the students and profs. here, some of whom have become quite attached to him; the workers also know him - they help collect mosquito larvae to feed him - in fact the kids of our receptionist call me "Abu Zanaiba" meaning "larva" or literally "father of the mosquito"; and even the shopkeepers along the street know about Mr Fish and ask how he is. Jerusalem is small - there are no secrets here!). So anyway I think it was the sisters in the kitchen who bought him for me as they knew Mr. Fish died; but they wanted to remain anonymous so they put it in the reception room in the night and called to say "someone left a bag for you." Now I'll have to give him a name - pretty hard for a pink fish with a humpback and big bulging eyes. Give me your suggestions!