Thursday, March 19, 2020

St. Joseph day

MC chapel today
It's the 3rd day of lock-in. The streets are very empty ... a handful of shops are open and very few people in the streets. The clinic and pharmacy are open. I had to go to M. Teresa's convent for Mass ... it's the feast of St. Joseph and one of the sisters is celebrating her patron saint's day. The walk there is relatively short ... 7 minutes towards Damascus Gate. Their convent abuts the City Wall. Today the chapel was decorated with lots of flowers and the statue of St. Joseph, which stands at the main gate, was brought inside the chapel. Mass was quick ... we're not allowed to stay out for longer than necessary. Then as I prepared to go home, the sisters brought a bag of food for me ... chapati with fried spicy egg, and 2 types of cake: coffee and lemon. What a surprise!

Empty street
Yes ... Lock-in is bad for the waist!! I've done nothing but cook new recipes and eat more food. And no long walks to burn the calories!! The other day I had white rice with spicy tuna which our indian sisters prepared. Then I prepared white rice with chinese sausage (lap cheong) and century egg. I'd better be careful with my food intake as I'm diabetic ... and with no walking exercise allowed, my sugar level will spike.  

All the warring around the region has dropped drastically. Every army involved is saying they cannot cope with the coronavirus and soldiers are dying, while the illness is spreading. Amazing how the International powers cannot stop wars ... but a microscopic virus can. The more I think about this, the more I'm convinced it is the hand of God. God didn't need cosmic signs and grand miracles. Just a microscopic virus is enough.

Well lock-in is also the will of God. I'm not fighting it ... I'm used to it. I've been living like this for the past decade because of my asthma. I'll just rest.