 |
| Foggy sunrise |
It's a terrible tragedy that many israelis refuse to follow the stay-home orders ... and the govt is not straight in its enforcement. To secular jews they now try to get the police to be very strict but to ultra-orthodox jews, they close an eye and allow them to gather in crowds. This double standards serves only to make the law a toothless tiger ... and so people laugh at it in the face. There are no consequences so why be afraid. And the result is more people dying. Mind you it's only a small minority that's doing this, but all it takes is one person to spread the virus to 10 others. The lack of civic-mindedness and responsibility for the community is utterly unbelievable ... for anyone coming from Asia. Anyway 2000 soldiers have been dispatched to enforce the lockdown ... on one group and not on another. Some locals told me with this care-less attitude and the coming of the Jewish Passover, they expect an explosion of infections.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/behavioral-expert-israelis-will-never-stay-at-home-but-the-elderly-might/
 |
| My ranunculus |
Meantime another crisis popped up in the govt yesterday. The Speaker of the House refused to step down though a new govt was sworned in. Utterly unbelievable. The new govt would have to vote for a new Speaker of the House, and the incumbent refuses to let go of power. It would never happen in a western democracy. The Speaker would have been arrested for undermining constitutional law.
Anyway the sky is marvellously bright today ... a cold 17 degree wind is blowing. It's a great day if you could go out for a walk ... but we're all locked indoors. I hear people complaining and moaning ... but I'm quite used to it. It's no different from my daily routine ... except I don't go to work in the other library and I say Mass on my own without the community. And one big boon for Buddy and JJ ... I'm spending the while day and night with them so they get terribly spoilt because they get to eat a lot of stuff which they usually don't get to eat ... like rice and different types of bread. And just like kids, they get very noisy and grouchy when they become tired and want to sleep. I got my hands full with them. Never a boring moment.