 |
| Storm over the City |
Hail and thunder today ... the weather turned very stormy by mid-morning. Very dark skies with strong gusty winds. And the 26 degree afternoons we've been having dropped to 9 degrees. This seesaw flux in temperature is making everyone sick ... and not helping one bit the spread of coronavirus. I didn't go to the other library to work today ... didn't want to risk catching another cold in this storm.
And talking about the virus ... the entire West Bank is under lockdown. The Archbishop had to send a second pastoral letter at night to inform all the parishes and schools in Palestine to suspend Masses and other meetings, maintain hygienic practices etc... Tourists who have been sent out of Bethlehem last night found out that Israeli hostels didn't want them either ... so many have flown home. Hopefully not to spread the virus to their own countries. A poor tour bus driver caught the virus from a group of greek pilgrims and he is now in hospital with pneumonia. Unfortunate casualty.
 |
| Cold wet night |
Today is Friday and I started out fasting like last week ... meaning no food ... but by noon I was feeling faint. I hadn't eaten since yesterday when I only had 4 small buns for the whole day. So today I ate some rice to prevent a fainting spell. Too bad. I've decided not to join any Way of the Cross on Fridays ... because of the danger of catching the virus ... and wisely the Custody has suspended this devotional on advice by the diocese. Likewise I'm not going to the Saturday night vigils at the Holy Sepulchre ... pilgrims kiss the stones and touch the stones ... it's definitely not safe there.
Meantime the political wrangling over who will form the new govt is sharing headlines with the virus. Goodness knows how it will end. There's been clashes at the Gaza border today I hear ... with some casualties. Hopefully with the fouling of the weather ... things will lessen in tension. Mother Nature has ways to deal with humans ... from hail and storms to viruses.