Friday, March 20, 2020

Cold wet day

Dark rainy weather today
As Israelis continue to disobey Ministry of Health's directives to stay home , despite pleas by the President and the PM, last night the drastic step was taken to make it mandatory and punishable by jail or fines. It's difficult to convince a war-veteran nation to fear a virus. They have lived years of war and terrorism and have grown not to be afraid of anything. But this time the microscopic virus might be quite a different type of enemy ... unseen and with no known means to destroy it except by starving it through social-distancing and quarantine. It's a new type of war tactic which they are not accustomed to.

Mt. of Olives overcast
Here in the Custody, a special prayer to St. Anthony, patron saint of the Custody and disperser of pestilence, was formulated so that all living here can pray for his intercession. Rabbis are using ancient prayers against epidemics as they spiritual weapon. Muslims also are praying today for an end to the virus. However with the lockdowns and self-imposed closures mean people are praying in their own homes. There're lots of soldiers in the streets today. Every 5 meters there are soldiers. Very few people in the streets though. Some of the soldiers are wearing masks and surgical gloves.

This morning I helped our sisters disinfect our sacristy and all the books and sacred utensils. There are no more tourists coming in for the 3rd day and so we can do an overhaul of the entire church and sacristy. Took me 2 hours to wash and wipe the entire sacristy with dettol and soap, every breviary and missal. Running short of detail, I quickly went down the road to the pharmacy to buy some. The pharmacist immediately stopped me at the door and asked why I wasn't wearing a mask especially because I'm asthmatic. "It's obligatory for you" she said and sent me home quickly after handing me the detail bottles. Well I should have been more cautious. Anyway for the rest of the day I'll be doing some reading, refreshing my french and just resting and playing with Buddy and JJ. It's the 4th day of lockdown ... and I'm still ok I guess.