Saturday, March 7, 2020

One day worse

Storming night
Things are turning for the worst as schools in Jerusalem have all been shut today. Municipality has issued warnings and so this morning we even received news that the revered Dominican Bible Institute "Ecole Biblique" will be closed for 2 weeks. Our faculty immediately followed by issuing a notice that our school and library will be closed for 2 weeks. And rumours are going around that the entire Old City will be locked down on Monday as well. People have started panic buying. Everyone is tensely waiting for the decision and announcement.

Anemones and Irises
Last night a friend called to say he was stuck in Jerusalem because being Sabbath there was no public transport, and he had no money to get a taxi and there was one of the hardest storms ever to hit our area. He wanted to walk home 4 kms in the tempest. I quickly went out to meet him 1km away to lend him some money to get a taxi. But I was totally soaked to the skin. The last time it rained like that was 30 years ago. Temperatures dropped to 6 degrees. I got home by 9pm shivering and hoping I won't catch another cold again.

This morning the sun shone like nothing happened last night. The wind is still very cold but it was a bright sunny day. All our library staffs ... from both libraries went out for a long walk to the southern mountains to see the wild flowers. It was a very nice excursion. The wild anemones were blooming everywhere ... and there were wild irises as well. Almond trees were profusely flowering and the barley are just packing their heads with starch. It was good to get out of the Old City that's still packed with tourists ... and you never know who's sick and who's not. Out in the open with sun and strong winds, there's no fear of the virus ... especially when there's no one else around.

Tomorrow morning I have the armenian Mass but I think soon the Archbishop will also suspend public masses here in Jerusalem. It's incredible how a microscopic virus can bring a City to its knees ... which even no war we've had so far been able to do.