Monday, January 14, 2019

Dust storm and asthma

Conference on ancient travelogues
An utterly dismal day today as desert sands were blown by strong winds into our country ... so bad that people were told to stay indoors. I unfortunately had to go to work twice and do an errand in the New City. Simply breathing in was impossible. Again and again I was suffocating. But once I was indoors it was alright. What a trial. I won't want to go out again this evening though I was invited for a dinner with several visiting professors who had given a conference earlier in the afternoon. It was on ancient travelogues kept in our Custody library.

Kaya and bun
Well on a happy note, despite the cold and dreadful sandstorm ... I had kaya for breakfast. Haven't had it for decades. Yesterday I specially bought a submarine bun to go with it. `Was so happy eating it with a cup of hot coffee. It was a little consolation on a Monday morning because I have to wake up at 3am for class.

Anyway it drizzled a little during the day but which didn't help in washing away the sand from the air. There was a storm in the central parts of the country which caused flooding and snow blizzards up in the north. 2 persons died. Wednesday forecast is snow in Jerusalem. I doubt if it will .... and if it does, it'll be very light. It'll be an adventure for the 1st year students but I for one dislike it because I have to shovel the terrace, It's backbreaking ... and no one helps me.     https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5446522,00.html?fbclid=IwAR261UZAtojJyuuvqebWDgVJbj_ciq8xXm3C7_BNJucm3Rd3d4xJzQGpFpU
and
https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5241033,00.html?utm_source=Taboola_internal&fbclid=IwAR2P40F8nME2kUs7JbjKy5LqEww7PToZwgOhTDZlwlgPzKnUKlxPpm4VcfY

Tensions have been building up in the Old City. Muslims and Israeli police clashed in the Al Aqsa mosque when a jewish policeman wearing a skullcap was stopped by muslim guards from entering the compound. I saw police rushing past our house to get into the Mosque compound but didn't know why till I read the news online.  https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5446595,00.html?fbclid=IwAR0jOPd4OcfUFdJNTHa7-9GNLjFkMYN9hdiY1AUN9UTOUFPQL8_UPKwAi_s