 |
| 1st sunrise of 2019 |
2019 has arrived. It's no big deal here as muslims and jews have their new years in autumn. There were some fireworks in the park ... I heard them at midnight but it's a far cry from what the rest of the world had celebrated. The weather however was great ... the sun was out and brightly shining while the cold winter wind continued to blow.
 |
| Our Chapel ready for Adoration |
We had no night Mass in our house ... we're only a skeleton crew left at home. We had instead solemn vespers with Eucharistic adoration ending with benediction and the singing of the Te Deum. It was my turn to preside at the liturgy this week so I did everything with a hoarse share throat and lots of wheezing and coughing. Survived it. And in full liturgical regalia too. Then after dinner I went for a walk ... the New City was crowded but not for New Year revellers. It doesn't work here. Most were jews going to the Wailing Wall and only a handful of tourists desperately looking for New Year countdown fun. It wasn't happening. Too bad.
 |
| Ancient pine trees at capuchin garden |
This morning I started the New Year early by celebrating Mass at the M. Teresa's convent at 6.30am. Then I had to walk 2.5km to the Capuchin monastery south of Jerusalem. Its a huge piece of property with several buildings and a huge garden with pine trees and fruit/veggie garden. Their chapel is huge and they have 2 halls for meetings and talks. It's an oasis of tranquility in the middle of a residential neighbourhood. Fr. Chen from the Ecole Biblique gave a meditation on the Feast of the Mother of God, then we had an hour's quiet reflection. Then we celebrated Mass and then took a slow walk back to the New City 1.5km away. Thanks to Fr. Kevin the Capuchin superior and his community for accommodating us this morning.
Lunch was at Mian restaurant where each of us ordered a bowl of noodles. Great hot soup noodles on a cold winter's day. Well I'm having the rest of the afternoon off ... resting or reading. No stress ... just a slow start to the New Year. Tonight I'll have to preside at Vespers ... the 1st for 2019.